Sunday 3 July 2011

50km X-C MTB Challenge – The Reccy

Saturday 2nd July 2011

Ready for the Off

Headed off from home at Tong Ao, Donsak just after midday. The weather was partially overcast but pretty hot and humid. The first short section along the road brought a nice cooling breeze pedaling at around 24km/hr. But knowing this was going to be a reccy and not a race my head told me it would be wise to take it easy and conserve energy, who knew what lay ahead?

The first section over Donsak Hill, through Khao Kloy to Nam Chaa was all familiar territory on quiet backroads interspersed with a high percentage of gravel dirt roads and soily/rocky trails through the rubber tree plantations. As I pushed on the hills ahead ominously started appearing in clearer view, giving a foretaste of what was to come. Turning left into the ‘Hidden Valley’ at 17.5 km the size of the task became more apparent but the pace was good as was still the weather. A bit more cloud, but that meant a pleasant relief from the overhead midday sun. The trail got quieter, apart from the odd motorcycle, local croppers heading into town for Saturday afternoon shopping. From the looks and usual ‘farang’ comments it was clear that they had never encountered any cyclists in this neck of the woods. The scenery was beautiful, the small river running through the valley featured a number of fords and side trails – all good for future exploration.

At a fork in the junction, close to my previous end of the road assessment, I wondered whether the trail to the right might in fact be the correct route. Fortunately a couple of Thai ladies on a motorcycle were just leaving a house close by and I was able to quiz them. I knew the general name of the area I was aiming for as Pak Phraek. The normal way to get there is along the main 4142 highway via the junction at Ban Nai. At first the ladies tried to steer me back towards the main road citing a ‘Big Hill’ as an impediment to my progress. But a quick ‘Mai pen rai’ from my side and yes, they said, ‘pai dai’. I guess the concept of a ‘mountain bike’ was beyond them.

So, off on the left fork and past the Thai Sign on the side of the road, which I had been informed said ‘a road will be built here’, the extent of my previous trip. The trail started to climb and climb. Loose stones, gulleys from the recent rains, rocks and drop offs, quite a technical up-hill section. Unfortunately my front derailleur is on its last legs, which means I can only select the big ring from my most used centre, no access to the granny ring! But by now the slope was steep enough such that even if I was able to get in the granny ring it would probably still be quicker to push the bike and walk!

200 mt. to the summit?

A hundred metres or so and the incline crested. Back on the bike, along a leafy, wooded section the trail was double with tall grass growing in the centre. The weather was closing in, the humidity rising and the closeness of the jungle made it feel like a sauna. A bend in the road and here we go – the killer hill. Wow! Just up, up, up. Shortly after I dismounted a pretty young lady passed by on a motorbike, all dressed up for Saturday afternoon, gingerly making her way up the rutted loose gravel, over the rocks and channels. A long hard push up, what I hoped would be the steepest section, turned out to be around 300 mt. until the summit was finally crested. Relief at last, it would all be all downhill from here on.

Stay tuned for the next part.....

No comments:

Post a Comment